CfSWP Launch in Scotland
A launch of the new Scottish regional centre of CfSWP took place on 7.12.15, hosted by the University of Edinburgh, the University of Dundee and the centre. We were delighted to welcome Dr Jane Herd, Director of Development from the CfSWP, who introduced us to the centre, its background, remit and aspirations.
During the launch event a number of ideas were identified which we aim to progress and develop over the forthcoming year:
- The need for a mapping exercise in relation to other related projects/activities across Scotland
- The need for an identification of the boundaries and connections with other relevant organisations e.g. BASW, IRISS, GAPS, SCOPT, Practitioners’ Forum (Edinburgh)
- Creating a definition of Relationship Based Social Work and undertaking a literature review
- For future endeavours to be accessible to practitioners and to create a dialogue between academia and the practice context
- To carry forward an awareness of austerity influences in this area of social work practice
- To work towards a national (Scottish) conference towards the end of 2016 and to build up to that via afternoon or evening seminars
Ruth Forbes from the University of Edinburgh and Richard Ingram from the University of Dundee will be taking forward the ideas noted above early in 2016 and would welcome any one who would like to become involved in progressing these and/or who has suggestions for other ways to take the CfSWP forward. It is hoped that the next event will take place in the spring and will provide an opportunity to discuss and develop a sense of what Relationship based Practice means within the Scottish context.